Hunter shoots self while on phone with girlfriend | News
ST. MATTHEWS, SC (AP) - Authorities say a hunter from Gaston accidentally shot and killed himself while talking to his girlfriend on his cell phone.
Calhoun County Coroner Donnie Porth told The Times and Democrat of Orangeburg that 59-year-old David Young told his girlfriend that he was trying to get his shotgun Monday afternoon when the call suddenly got quiet.
The woman called police when she couldn't get him to respond, and authorities found him dead with a shotgun wound to the chest.
Investigators think Young tripped and fell, which caused the gun to fire. Authorities recommend hunters keep their guns pointed in a safe direction with the safety on when they aren't trying to shoot an animal.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teen charged as adult after allegedly stealing cash register
- LCSD, LPD to host fourth annual Cops and Calabash
- Customers allowed back into Lexington County Walmart after evacuation
- Two Lexington-Richland District Five Schools Again Among Top In The Nation
- Lexington One office and schools receive awards from SC/NSPRA